The most amazing Air Fryer Grilled Cheese sandwiches, with perfect all over crispiness and gooey melted cheese. They are easy to make and turn out perfect every time!
Nothing compares to the deliciousness and ease of a grilled cheese made in the air fryer, and it’s a total bonus that it couldn’t be easier to make! It’s the perfect recipe to introduce you to the air fryer, if you’re new to it, and grilled cheese sandwiches are loved by all, so it’s a guaranteed win!
Quality Ingredients = Quality Grilled Cheese:
Bread: White sandwich bread is a great traditional choice, but try to choose something thicker cut, like Texas toast or Sara Lee Artesano.. Sourdough bread, multi-grain bread or leftover artisan bread would be delicious too, but may not toast as golden in the air fryer, as easily.
Cheese: Cheddar cheese is a must (orange or white), but I also like to throw in another kind of good melty cheese, like Swiss, provolone, American, Monterey Jack, Gruyere, Fontina or Havarti.
Butter: can’t achieve that buttery, crispy golden color and flavor without it! Salted or unsalted will work.
How to Make Air Fryer Grilled Cheese:
Assemble Sandwiches: Preheat your air fryer to 320 degrees. Butter one side of each slice of bread. Add one slice of cheddar cheese and one slice of your favorite cheese to the non-buttered side of the bread and top with other slice of bread (make sure buttered sides are facing out). Use toothpick to secure the sandwich (they’ll help keep the bread from flying off while air frying).
Air Fry: Place grilled cheese sandwiches in air fryer basket or on rack in an even layer (you will likely need to cook them in batches). Air fry at 370 degrees for 2-3 minutes. Check often so it doesn’t burn and to ensure the top bread slice hasn’t blown off.
Flip Sandwich: Flip to other side and cook for 2-3 minutes longer, or until it reaches your desired level of brownness.
- No butter: Spray top of bread with oil after placing sandwich in air fryer. Spray the other side after flipping.
- Ham and Cheese: Add a thin slice of ham in between the two slices of cheese.
- Grilled Cheese with Mayo: Spread on a light layer of mayo on the insides of the bread.
Follow me for more great recipes
Air Fryer Grilled Cheese
- 8 Slices thick slices of white bread*
- 4 slices sharp cheddar , sliced thinly
- 8 slices your favorite cheese* (swiss, provolone, American, Havarti, etc.)
- Butter for spreading
- Preheat your air fryer to 320 degrees.
- Butter one side of each slice of bread. Add one slice of cheddar cheese and one slice of your favorite cheese to the non-buttered side of the bread and top with other slice of bread (making sure the buttered sides are facing out).
- Use a toothpick to secure the sandwich together (if your bread is thin, the top piece will blow off during cooking). Place grilled cheese sandwiches in air fryer basket or oven in an even layer—you will likely need to cook them in batches.
- Air fry grilled cheese sandwiches at 370 degrees for 2-3 minutes, flip and continue cooking for 2-3 minutes. Check often to check that it doesn’t burn. During the first minute of cooking, check that the top slice of bread hasn’t blown off of the cheese.
- Total cook time will depend on the type of bread, check on it periodically and continue cooking until it reaches your desired level of brownness. Remove toothpick before eating.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Tag @TastesBetterFromScratch on Instagram with #TastesBetterFromScratch!