This Better than Sex Cake recipe is made with chocolate cake soaked in homemade caramel sauce and topped with fresh whipped cream. Whether or not you think it lives up to it’s name, it’s always a crowd favorite!
I’ve got cake recipes for every occasion and tastebud! Some of my favorites include, German Chocolate Cake, Gooey Butter Cake, Classic Yellow Cake, Chocolate Peanut Butter Cake, Homemade Rum Cake and more!
What is Better than Sex Cake?
This infamous cake is also referred to as, “Better than Anything Cake” and “Is it really better than sex cake?”. It’s a chocolate cake with caramel and sweet milk poured throughout and topped with whipped topping.
What I love about this recipe:
- Box Mix or Homemade – Obviously I prefer homemade chocolate cake, but you can use a cake mix for ease!
- That Caramel Sauce! I’ve used a jar of Mrs Richardson’s caramel topping when I was in a hurry, but honestly, it’s amazing with the homemade caramel!
- Heath Bar Topping – Use a bag of heath bits, to save time (you can find them by the chocolate chips at your grocery store). Store leftover heath bits in your freezer, or use them for this yummy trifle.
How to Make Better Than Sex Cake:
Bake Chocolate Cake: Any chocolate cake will work but we love this Hershey’s Chocolate Cake (baked in a 9×13” pan). Use the handle of a wooden spoon to carefully poke wholes all over the cake.
Pour Sauce: Pour caramel sauce and sweetened condensed milk evenly on top of the cake.
Spread Whipped Cream: Top with fresh whipping cream, spreading it to the edges.
Add Candy: Sprinkle candy on top, we love crushed heath candy bars. Store leftover better than sex cake in the refrigerator for up to one week.
Make Ahead Instructions:
To Make Ahead: Make the chocolate cake up to 1 week ahead of time. Cover it well and store in freezer. Thaw completely before poking holes and adding topping. Make the homemade caramel sauce several days in advance, to save time. It can be poured on the cake warm or cold.
More Cake Recipes:
- White Texas Sheet Cake
- Hershey’s “Perfectly Chocolate” Chocolate Cake
- Mississippi Mud Cake
- Chocolate Mug Cake
- Easy Carrot Cake
- German Chocolate Cake
- Lemon Cake
- Tres Leches Cake
- Berry Cake
Follow me for more great recipes
Better than Sex Cake
- Bake cake in a 9×13'' according to recipe directions. Allow cake to cool, then poke holes in it with a fork or wooden skewer.
- Pour caramel sauce all over the cake, followed by sweetened condensed milk (I usually use about ½ of the can but the traditional recipe uses an entire can).
- Add whipping cream to a mixing bowl and beat until soft peaks. Add powdered sugar and then beat the mixture until stiff peaks. Smooth the fresh whipped cream over the cooled cake. Sprinkle with heath candy pieces.
- Refrigerate for at least 1 hour, or up to one day, before serving.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Tag @TastesBetterFromScratch on Instagram with #TastesBetterFromScratch!
I originally shared this recipe March 2017. Updated June 2020 and July 2023.
This post contains affiliate links. I love sharing my favorite products with you!